2020-2021 Student Transfers
The transfer window for the remainder of the 2020-2021 school year is now closed.
2021-2022 Student Transfers
Applications close April 23, 2021, at 4 p.m.
2021-22 Student Transfer Procedures & Guidelines
The transfer application is linked at the bottom of this page
DEFINITION: Transfer students are those who are wanting to attend a campus they are not zoned for. If you have moved into Hutto (currently living here, not waiting on a new build completion) or into a new Hutto campus zone and your child will attend the campus your home is zoned for, that child is not considered a transfer student. Proceed with either new student or returning student registration and update your address.
Hutto ISD will accept transfer applications for the 2021-22 school year beginning Monday, March 1st, 2021 until Friday, April 23rd, 2021. All transfer applications must be filled out by a parent or legal guardian and should be submitted at the HISD Central Administration Building. (200 College Street, Hutto, TX 78634). No Applications will be accepted on the school campuses.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION FOR ALL REQUESTS - HUTTO ISD STAFF INCLUDED:
- In District Transfer Applications must be accompanied by proof of residence(most recent utility bill, mortgage statement or current lease), current 20-21 Report Card showing full year to date (available in Family Access), attendance report for 20-21 (if not listed on final report card)(available in Family Access).
- Out of District Transfer Applications must provide the same documentation as an In District Transfer Applicant, plus a 20-21 discipline report (if not currently on a transfer to a HISD school)( if the student did not have any discipline actions, a letter stating that fact from the school and signed by the registrar or school admin is needed). Students coming from a Homeschool situation need to provide a grade report from the curriculum/program they are using as well as the attendance, grade and discipline report from the last year in which they attended a brick and mortar school.
- Fees: A non-refundable administrative fee of $30 is assessed for transfer requests. Transfer applications will not be accepted without payment. (Fee is waived for current HISD employees, siblings of In District Special Programs transfers (Dual Language, Bi-Lingual, Functional Academics, Solid Roots only)(the fee is applied to these students if they live Out of District), and confirmed PEG applications.
NOTE: Do not withdraw your student from their current campus until you have received official, written approval of your transfer request. Not all transfers are approved and withdrawing early could result in a truancy issue.
STUDENT TRANSFER APPLICATION TIMELINE
- March 1, 2021 8:30am –April 23, 2021: HISD will be accepting submissions for both In District and Out of District transfers. Decision will be communicated by mail on or about the first week of June.
- April 24 – Sept 6: HISD will be closed to transfer submissions. (Exceptions: HISD employees hired after due date)
- Sept 7 – February 25, 2022: Transfer forms will be accepted and considered on a case by case basis as space is available
IMPORTANT STUDENT TRANSFER INFORMATION
Schools will be open to accept student transfers on a SPACE- AND STAFFING-AVAILABLE basis. Space availability will be evaluated in each grade level/program and transfers approved based on this evaluation. Parents should be aware that the transfer request will not be approved if additional staff or classrooms are needed to accommodate the transfer student. Projected enrollment for the campus must be below 95% of the capacity of the campus. Other criteria that may be used on campuses that are near 95% and in high growth areas include:
- Elementary Grades K-5: The principal may approve transfers in kindergarten through grade 4 if the projected enrollment is less than or equal to a 19:1 ratio, in grade 5 that ratio is 22:1.
There are NO guarantees that children who transfer in will be able to continue at the requested campus in future school years.
It is important to consider that your child may not be able to continue in the feeder pattern of a school he/she transfers into, since every school and grade level is evaluated every year.
Example: If you have two or more children, one may be accepted as a transfer student into an open school for this year because space is available in his/her grade level. However, a sibling’s transfer may be denied because space is not available in his/her grade level.
The parents and students requesting a transfer must agree to abide by the school’s standards for academic progress, attendance, discipline, and parental cooperation.
Transfers are granted for one year only and will be reviewed annually. A transfer student may not return to the home campus during that school year unless a written request to rescind the transfer is made by the parent AND both principals agree to an earlier return.
ESTABLISHED RESIDENCY PRIOR TO TRANSFER REQUEST
Elementary students new to Hutto ISD must attend their home campus for at least one grading period (5 weeks) before requesting a transfer. HISD employees are exempt from this provision.
RESIDENT STUDENTS WHO BECOME NONRESIDENTS
A resident student, who becomes a nonresident during the course of a school year, shall be permitted to continue in attendance for the remainder of the current semester provided that attendance, behavior, and academic expectations are met. To remain until the end of the school year, a transfer form (fee waived), approved by the campus principal, will need to be submitted to HISD Central Administration with the student’s nonresident address for coding purposes.
NONRESIDENT HISD EMPLOYEEES
Children of nonresident HISD employees shall be eligible to attend district schools in accordance with FDA (LOCAL) and the provisions of the policy. Non-resident employees may enroll their children in HISD schools with no tuition charge, according to the following stipulations:
- HISD shall assign the student to the school of the employee’s choice annually based on space availability.
- If space is not available at the campus preferred by the employee, HISD shall assign the student to a campus with space available nearest the preferred campus. This policy shall be reviewed annually to ensure it is economically feasible to continue this practice.
- Transfers for employee staff children are contingent upon continued employment with Hutto ISD. Should an employee terminate their employment/contract with Hutto ISD the transfer is void.
CONSIDERATIONS FOR APPROVAL
Approval of transfer requests is subject to the student's good standing in attendance, behavior, grade and tardies, as well as program space availability.
Once the application and processing fee is received, the transfer application will be reviewed for approval/denial. Processing timeline is dependent on time of year, as well as priority of transfer. Priority levels are as follows:
- In District students on Special Program/sibling of student in Special Program (Dual Language, Bi-Lingual, Functional Academics, Solid Roots)(Transfer fee waived upon verification for In District transfers only))
- Students of HISD employee
- Extenuating Circumstances*
NOTE: Should there not be enough space to accept an otherwise approved transfer, HISD will use the lottery method for picking students.
*Extenuating circumstances may include documented medical, psychological, or other special needs of students who seek to remain on a campus that they have attended for at least the previous year. The Board’s designee will investigate the petitions submitted on these grounds by consulting with the professional staff at the requested school. If campus professionals concur that there is risk of harm to the student by reassigning him/her, the request to remain will be given priority consideration.
DENIAL OF TRANSFER
Unfortunately, Hutto ISD will not be able to approve all student transfer requests, as noted above. A student transfer request may be denied for the following reasons and/or for principal/superintendent designee discretion:
- No space available at the requested grade level/campus.*
- The information provided on the Application form is erroneous.
- The student has a history of documented Student Code of Conduct infractions and/or commits a violation of the Student Code of Conduct, which results in an assignment to the District or Juvenile Justice Alternative Education Program. These denials may not be appealed.
- Documented patterns of truancy, late arrivals, and/or late pick-ups requiring the supervision of the child by school staff. These denials may not be appealed.
- Poor academic performance.
- The principal has denied the previous year’s transfer request.
- The parent/guardian is no longer an employee of Hutto ISD.
- The educational needs of the student can be met at the zoned campus.
- A parent does not cooperate with school staff or if they falsify information for the purpose of transfer approval. Parent/Guardians may be punished under the Texas Penal Code, Chap. 37, Sec. 37.10 for falsified information.
* A student whose transfer is denied based on space, who meets all other transfer criteria, will be placed on a wait list should space become available at a later date in the school year. Wait list placing will be chosen via lottery.
Transportation will be the responsibility of parent(s)/guardian(s). No District transportation (bussing) will be provided.
Appeals should be made in accordance with FDB (LOCAL) and GF (LOCAL), as appropriate.
For more information about the transfer process, contact Lynne Smith, 512-759-3771 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Transfer procedures are in accordance with District Transfer Policy, FDA(LOCAL), FDA(LEGAL)
UIL ELIGIBILITY FOR TRANSFERS
The legal residence of a student and his or her parent(s) or legal guardian establishes the high school in which the student is eligible for competition in school-sponsored athletic contests. The legal residence requires that the parent(s) or legal guardian and student(s) actually live in the attendance area, receive mail at the residence, and plan to continue to live there.
If a student’s residence is outside of the Hutto ISD attendance zone, the student would be ineligible for varsity competition according to UIL rules for one calendar year starting with the first day of enrollment.
Regardless if the student's residence is in or outside of the Hutto ISD attendance zone, students must complete a Previous Athletic Participation Form which then needs to be approved by the District Executive Committee.
For more information about athletic eligibility, please contact HISD Athletic Director, Bradley LaPlante, 512-759-4700 or email email@example.com.