Q: What is SHAC?
A: SHAC is a state mandate advisory council appointed by the school board. It is made up of parents, community members, students and school staff working together to improve the health of all students and families.
Q: Why do we need a Student Health Advisory Council (SHAC)?
- It is Texas law.
- Healthy children learn better.
- Schools play an important role in teaching healthy habits.
- Healthy homes and healthy schools support healthy children.
Q: What components are in the HISD school health program?
- Family and community involvement
- Nutrition services
- Physical education
- Health education
- Counseling, psychological and social services
- Health services
- Healthy school environment
- Health promotion for school staff
Q: How can I help?
A: Become active in supporting district initiatives to create healthy learning environments for all of our children. Attend the HISD SHAC meeting, every other month, on odd months at the Central Office Administration Building, located at 200 College Street, Hutto, Texas 78634.
Q: Where can I get more information?
A: For more information contact: Kendra Estes, RN, BSN at firstname.lastname@example.org