School Health Advisory CouncilWhat is SHAC?The School Health Advisory Council (SHAC) is an advisory group comprised of individuals who represent segments of the community. The group acts collectively to provide advice to Hutto ISD on aspects of the school district's health and wellness program.Research shows that healthy children do better in school - from attendance and behavior to academics and overall performance. SHAC is an exciting partnership that exists between Hutto ISD and members of the Hutto community. This council made up of parents, community members, students, school health personnel, and teaching staff who, as a council, provide advice to the district in ensuring that community values and local health issues are reflected in the district's health education policies and instruction. Parents and community members are always welcomed and encouraged to join the council.The HISD School Health Advisory Council meets on the second Tuesday of the month with the exception of June-Aug, Dec and Jan.Meetings will be held in the Boardroom at the Central Office Administration Bldg located at 200 College St. Hutto, Texas 78634 unless otherwise noted. Membership to the SHAC is by annual school board appointment.Meetings are open to all interested persons.
What does the SHAC do?The SHAC has a variety of committees addressing all components of a comprehensive school health program. The components include:
The local school health advisory council's duties include recommending:
- Nutrition Services
- Physical Education
- Health Education
- Health Services
- Parent & Community Involvement
- Healthy & Safe School Environment
- Staff Wellness Promotion
- The number of hours of instruction to be provided in health education
- Health education curriculum appropriate for specific grade levels that may include a coordinated health education program designed to prevent obesity, cardiovascular disease, and Type II diabetes.
- Instruction to prevent the use of tobacco
- Appropriate grade levels and methods of instruction for human sexuality education.
For information, contact Kendra Estes, Director of Health and Risk Management at email@example.com.