The Hutto ISD Board of Trustees has two positions up for election this year. An election will be held on Saturday, May 6, 2017, if necessary. The filing period for a place on the ballot begins Tuesday, January 18, 2017, and will run through 5:00 p.m. Friday, February 17, 2017.
School Board candidate packets can be picked up from the Hutto ISD Administration Building between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Fridays. The district will be closed on Monday, January 16.
Qualifications and eligibility to be a Trustee are:
A person may not be elected trustee of an independent school district unless the person is a qualified voter. Education Code 11.061(b)
To be eligible to be a candidate for, or elected or appointed to, the office of school Board Trustee, a person must:
· Be a United States citizen.
· Be 18 years of age or older on the first day of the term to be filled at the election or on the date of appointment, as applicable.
· Have not been determined mentally incompetent by a final judgment of a court.
· Have not been finally convicted of a felony from which the person has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities. Atty. Gen. Op. LO 96-114 (1996)
· Be a resident of Texas and the District for the period of time described at Candidate's Residency Term, below. Tex. Const. Art. XVI, Sec. 14 Election Code 141.001(a); Brown v. Patterson, 609 S.W.2d 287 (Tex. Civ. App.-Dallas 1980, no writ)
· Be a registered voter. Education Code 11.061(b); Election Code 11.002
· Take the official oath of office. Education Code 11.061(a)
· Serve without compensation. Education Code 11.061(d)
Candidate's Residency Term
Prefiled Candidacy -An individual seeking election to the office of Trustee by having his or her name placed on the ballot must have been a resident of the state for 12 months, and a resident of the District for six months, prior to the last date on which the candidate could file to be listed on the ballot.
Write-In Candidacy-An individual seeking election to the office of Trustee by write-in vote must have been a resident of the state for 12 months, and a resident of the District for six months, prior to the day of the election.
Appointment to Office
An individual appointed to the office of Trustee must have been a resident of the state for 12 months, and a resident of the District for six months, prior to the day on which the appointment is made.
Election Code 141.001(a)(5)
"Residence" shall mean domicile, one's home and fixed place of habitation to which one intends to return after any temporary absence; one does not lose one's residence status by leaving to go to another place for temporary purposes only. A person does not acquire a residence in a place to which the person has come for temporary purposes only and without the intention of making that place the person's home. Residence shall be determined in accordance with the common-law rules, as enunciated by the courts of this state, except as otherwise provided by the Election Code.Election Code 1.015
As established in the Hutto City Charter Section 5.02, to be eligible to file, a candidate must meet the following qualifications: